22 November 2010

Kerrelyn Sparks ~ Love At Stake Series Review

The first book of Kerrelyn Sparks I stumbled upon was The Virgin and The Vampire. That was 2 years ago. I made a mental note to purchase this book when I have the money. Money was never enough during my college days and I forgot about it competely as time went on.

Two days ago I was surfing the website of my favourite author and it just came to me in a jolt: what was that book I was supposed to buy? Something about vampires and romance and Greece...then the title popped up: Vampire and the Virgin or something like that. True enough I googled the title and the black and white cover brought back my memory. Yes, this was the book I am supposed to purchase! Heh heh...
Sorry to say this but I didn't buy the books: I downloaded ALL the eight books. =P

Then I read: the 8th installment of Ms. Sparks' Love at Stake series have made our day again...

The 8th book? You mean, there's more?

I googled her website and true enough, the whole list of her books where there: How to Marry a Millioaire Vampire(book 1), Vamps and the City(book 2) and the list goes on.

Here I'd like to note something: the titles of her books are like wordplays of famous bestselling books/series/Tv and so on.

Book 1:
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire is similar to Julia Quinn's How to Marry a Marquis.

Book 2:
Vamps and the City- isn't this obvious? Sex and the City!

Book 3:
Be Still My Vampire Heart is a wordplay on Be Brave My Little Heart(i forgot who wrote it)

Book 4:
The Undead Next Door-a wordplay on the 1980's cult classic thriller 'The Stranger Next Door'.

Book 5:
All I Want For Christmas Is a Vampire. Even the dimwitted ones can see through this: All I Want For Christmas(add is a vampire)

Book 6:
Secret Life of a Vampire - Secret Life of a Shopaholic.

Book 7:
Forbidden Nights with the Vampire - The title is a wordplay on a very old romance novel Forbidden Nights With The Duke.

Book 8:
The Vampire and The Virgin. A wordplay on D.H. Lawrence's The Virgin and The Gypsy.

Book 9:
This is the most blatant wordplay of all: Eat, PREY, Love.

So you see, even though her stories are original her titles are not. I guess it is forgiven because,

a) Her writing style is very engaging and witty.
b) Intelligent plot. It's something you could believe happen.
c) Actual ancient facts about Vampires are used here without overdramatization.
d) Character development is good. There's no wounded soldier turning cheerful clown in 5 pages.
e) You could understand the characters.
f) You see another perspective of vampires. Ex: Vamps actually laugh at the idea of Dracula apparently.
g) Don't we all love to see how a mortal and a paranormal creature managed to make it in the end?

Anyhoo, there were a few annoying cliche's like the female vampire speaking with an accent, having a temper and think of nothing but food, sex, dress like tramps and preen about with other female vamps. Wish the female vamps would be credited with some intelligence and some girl power. =/

Quick facts from the first book:

Roman Draganasti is a 500+ year old vamp who is the pioneer of Romatech Industries: a company responsible of producing synthetic blood that saved vampires and mortals alike. Having lived so long he started to feel very empty and depressed. Until he broke his fang trying to bite a sex toy filled with synthetic blood and he needed a dentist before the sun rises or else he would be a one-fanged wonder for centuries to come.

Shanna Whealan is a dentist on the run after witnessing something she shouldn't have seen. On a boring night shift in her clinic, the thugs from her past tracked her down and was saved by a beautiful man who insist she fix his tooth. Refusing to fix his tooth(fang actually) yet she on the run from the thugs, she found safety in the most outrageous place(or person) possible: a vampire who wants his tooth fixed.
But she doesnt know it's a real fang and he's a vampire...
So the story picks up from there and A LOT of juicy stuff happen before they all live happily ever after.

I can only say I am beyond anticipation for the next book. Now, where is my dashing and dangerous bloodsucker?

The book covers:
 And her latest installment:

No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...