14 September 2011

Japanese Host Clubs

Yes, perhaps this my sign that I should cut down my obsession with Japan. But as much as I am intrigued by their diversity of social norms and culture, there are things that I would willingly turn my eyes from. One such thing is the very popular but hushed culture of Japanese Host Clubs.

You're thinking of scantily clad women on sexy designer couches and beckoning to you with that smize (google it, it's an actual word invented by Tyra Banks).

Nope. These are young men with good looks, fabulous clothes and with the perfected art of making a women feel like she's something special. They lead a glamorous life of a celebrity without the nuisance of paparazzi and heck these men are living the dream if they are good at their jobs. After all, you schmooze a woman and if she likes you she comes back for more. Of course, the monetary credits they gain is also enough to last a lifetime for 10 people.

The hosts themselves list out the do and don'ts of their job.

Do's:

1. Be a good listener.
2. Make her feel relaxed, comfortable.
3. Pay attention to her, laugh with her, joke with her.
4. She needs to feel special. Do whatever she likes ie. follow her.

Don'ts:

1. Have sexual relationships with her. I believe this to be bullshit of the highest order.
2. Get drunk. She wants your full attention am I right?

Well, in all honesty this sounds more like a male prostitute...right? Well, they aren't called male geishas for no reason because you see...geishas were male before females took over. Anyhoo, we are going to take about these young men with their ridiculous feathered up hairs, tanned skin and designer clothes not the ancient ones with shaven eyebrows and smothering layers of kimono.

 I'll give you a clue, the ones who sits in the very middle is the club's No.1. The back ones are noobs and not so popular ones.
 The lady in white has got to be a tranny.





Disclaimer: all the photographs belong to Manabu Numata.


Some of them are really good looking but still...the whole idea of these male entertainers seems pathetic to me. Because, you see, who in their right mind would wants to spend an evening with a guy who pretends he's interested in you, showers you with compliments he doesn't mean, laugh at your (lame) jokes and...why do women go after these men who are fake through and through?

A Japanese photographer Manabu Numata says in this article : http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/play/manabu-numata-chronicling-tokyos-host-clubs-784426

Japanese hosts are popular among women because women need a break from male oppressed society and have an evening of fantasy where she doesn't have to feel tied down by pressures of the day. It is mere fantasy. That's what they want and there are men who are willing to give it to them.

The hosts also take good care of their appearances to appeal to the women. That anime look is teh shitz now among Japan.

The photographer also admits that the female customers are more often than not psychologically unstable. I think it goes without telling that certain customers would get nasty when their 'favourite companion' is unavailable for them.

How about the relationships between the hosts? Do they get along? Oh puh-leeeaase. Anyone with any intelligence left would know all these primped up boys are just aching to be No.1 because No.1 is the highest paid, most popular and thus have many perks of getting a rich female client as a 'benefactor'. They are also ambitious to break out as a celebrity as well.

To me these hosts have always been lazy young men who uses their good looks and skills to earn quick bucks. I think if I were to go to Japan I would hate to be invited to the host clubs. I'd much rather not to set my foot in any of these red-light places.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not even sure how I even got to this blog post but I really like seeing someone talk about REAL host clubs and not the fairytale stuff you see in Anime and Manga.

There's actually a really decent documentary about it "The Great Happiness Space."

Is it a high paying job? Yeah. But you also have to deal with crazy women all night, drink so much you get liver failure before middle age, and have to sleep with those same crazy women.

The worst part is that most of the women are sex workers too. They're so disillusioned with life that they need to go to the Host Clubs to feel loved, even though they know it's all a fake. And if they didn't work as sex workers as well they couldn't afford the club pricing.

It's basically prostitutes funding prostitutes and is a really messed up system.

Princess Ganga said...

Thank you for your comment, Anon.
I was hoping for a long time that someone would give feedback about this article.

Thank you.

natlely said...

Wow I really liked this posting on japanese host club.I was kinda surprised to know that they actually act like its something glamorous and even have pamphlets and stuff depicting hosts haha.I always thought they were quite similar to anime and manga stuff. Well,guess anybody that uses their body to gain money isn't really living the high life after all.
keep up the good work willow=) hope to read more from u soon.

Princess Ganga said...

Thank you, Natlely.

I wrote this on the notion that anime and mangas glamourize too much on the Host Club culture and girls actually think that's how they're like.
They think - like in the anime's - they're gonna get the hottest, most popular guy and have their own fairytale ending.

It's kinda sad, isn't it?

ps: as much as I am crazy about anime, I am realistic.

Albusowner said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this unusual trend! I am studying Japanese culture at the moment and found this helpful :)
P.s I like your blog :D

Princess Ganga said...

Hey Albusowner, thanks for the great feedback <3

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the interesting article. Though I don't completely agree with your opinion of host clubs. You never know the true story behind a host. You can't just brand them all lazy men, though I am sure some of them are. I think it's a bit hasty for you to generalize all hosts like that.

Akiko Myers said...

I didn't know Host clubs actually existed. When I go to Japan I'll have to visit one for the experience. Even if it's a fake compliment and attention, it would be nice for some people. I just have to see for myself what these are like in all honestly.

Anonymous said...

It's just to keep you entertained, but some are really cheaters, duh? a drink will cost a bunch. It's like drinking beer, vodka the same price of a quality wine.

Btw I'm a guy.

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...