26 January 2010

Racism

"Salesgirl Wanted. Chinese Only"
"Salesgirl Wanted. Chinese Preferred"
"Housemate Wanted. Chinese Only."

Signs like these are not uncommon in Malaysia. In malls, in grocery shops, and places where you are likely to get a part time jobs: rude signs such as these are pasted. It's no wonder it is hard for non-chinese to get jobs or temporary houses even.
Why are you people doing this? Are you implying that non-chinese are unworthy to work in Chinese dominated jobs? 90% of you can't even speak English properly and you are depriving our rights? Wan't me to slap you, bitches?

Let me tell you my own personal experiences.

When I was In Standard 4(about 10 years old) during art lesson our teacher told us to draw children playing in the playground. She told us that we may use the colors like dark brown, light brown and peach to denote the race of the people we are drawing. Her intention was good, she wanted to teach the children that Malaysia is a multicultural race and we must get along with one another despite our differences.
I noticed one of my classmate(a Malay Girl) coloring the people in her drawing with yellow paint(I am referring to the skin).
When I saked why is she drawing the people yellow: she replied "Mak saya kata jangan lukis guna warna perang, nanti nampak macam orang India."
Translation: My mum told me not to use brown to denote human skin tone else it will look like an Indian.

May I ask what is wrong about being Indian? What's so dirty about Indian skin? It's dark, yes: so what's your excuse for thinking it's dirty?
We have been existing in this world for 5000 years and introduced piping system, medical surgeries, food and many more things. Heck, we INVENTED the kamasutra. The sex thing you Chinese and Malays are so obsessed about.
We have long been a civilized community when you people were farmers and barbarians.

One more thing that further proves the non-Indian shallow as minded fools.
My sister's friend once told me that her mother explained the reason why Indians are so dark is because Indians rub shit on their bodies.
Morons like these are the very reason that our children and the next generations are permanently prejudiced against my people.(this is the height of insult!)
Don't judge us based on how the Indians in India are living. We are NOTHING like them, I assure you.
Another story: my friend(a Malay girl) once told me that if she came back late from home "The Indian man will take you away".
Another told me that if she talked to Indians, they will kidnap her and sell her to Thai brothels.
WHAT THE HELL???

Let me tell you the things what MY mum told me about YOU people when I was young.

When I asked why the Chinese are so ugly my replied that they eat pork too much.
When I asked why the Malys smell so bad my replied that they dont bathe in the mornings and eat too much belacan.
When I asked my mum why the Chinese all have small eyes, my mum told me that they are bad people. Only bad people have small eyes.
When I asked why the Malays like so lembab*, my mum told me that they eat beef. Cows are stupid animals, if you eat stupid animals, you will also become stupid.
There are many more but I decided to take pity and write no more insulting questions I have asked.
Although I have been instilled by these information since young, I NEVER believed my mother. I honestly never thought badly about people who were different from me. I know they were different in terms of race and culture yet I know in many ways, we are all the same. I am sad, so very sad that not many people don't think like this.
To think I was only 9 or 10 when I knew all this. Shame on older people who are still stubborn as to refuse to accept other people into their lives.

I would like to ask all of you who are reading this entry: why do you tell lies about other people that only induced negative thoughts that lasts forever?

Why not tell our kids the truth when they ask us things like this?
Instead of saying Indian look dark because they rub shit(it gets more hurtful everytime I think about this sentence), why not tell them the truth? Teach them little bit of history that Indians came from a hot country where they are directly exposed to the sun and it made them dark coz we were heavy laborers and all?
Instead of saying chinese are ugly because they eat pork too much, why not explain to them that they came from a cold country and evolution made their features in lieu to the climate?


So much for instilling Satu Malaysia concept. You can only talk this and that but the sad truth remains that among the rakyat the prejudice still exists. I only hope the younger generation will be more open, advanced, accepting and accomodating to others.

I am so gonna be charged by ISA for saying all this.

*slow, stupid. In Tamil we say Manthani.

No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...