30 October 2011

Lookie What I Found!

As I was cleaning my purple sling bag which had a purple pocket umbrella and my new purple wallet(see what I did there?), I stumbled upon this little olive-yellow piece of rock with LUCK carved on them.

Boy, I have completely forgot that I even had these. You see, there's a heartwarming beautiful story that comes with this little rock.


You see back in my diploma studying days where I suffered miserably with sluts for roomates, I had experienced this really beautiful thing. It was one of the most nicest things that happened during my time there.

You see, one day after coming back from a long day of classes, I was stopped by the security guard who gave me a plastic case that had loads of cards in them. Driver's License, IC, Hostel ID, Students Cards and some other cards - lets just say it was a lot of cards.

Apparently, some girl dropped this on the shortcut pavement that leads to the college to and fro from the hostel. He gave it to me because he thought since she was also an Indian, I would know her. I don't know the girl but she lived in the same block as me, two rooms above. I told him I would hand deliver this myself because exams are like just 2 days away and by the time the hostel management put up a notice it would take 3-5 days and believe me, the whole admin process of acquiring a new student ID to sit for your exams are tedious(personal experience) so I thought better if I just go to her room and save all that trouble.

After placing my stuff in my room I went to her room(it was stated on her Hostel ID) but no one was there. The door was not locked and the room was cleaned-bed arranged,  study table sorted out and what-have-you so I thought, maybe her exams starts much later and she went back until then. Oh, what the heck, I'll just leave a note on her bed and she can always come look for me - exam season where else would I be but in my room studying? Im not going to go anywhere, very unlikely in this exam season.


So I placed her stack of cards nicely in my drawer and went about my business. I was cramming for about an hour and went out for a short toilet break.
I came back to find 2 Indian girls looking panicked and stricken outside my room. She asked "Are you (her name)?".
(Her name was on the ID card so I kind of know).

And she was "OMG YES ARE YOU (my name)?" I left a note with my name on LOL so she would know who to look for - I lived with a roomate back then. Gotta get the names right heh heh.

And I handed over the card stacks and she was thanking me profusely. It was kind of embarassing because you see, I did this not for getting thanks or to feel good about myself but merely to help out another student - that was all, I wasn't even thinking too much about it. It was just one of those 'oh, well' situation.

After further profuse thanking and asking how I got/ find them and me explaining briefly, she left and I went about my own business again.
The next afternoon after my final class before the finals, I saw a small pink package tied up to my cheap DIY clothes stand. I thought it was for my roomate because my roomie is a pretty popular girl and perhaps it was from one of her admirers. She was still a slut tho. Anyway.

I checked the little pink card that came with the package to confirm and much to my surprise the card had my name on it!

Who could this be??? How very strange!

I set my stuff on the bed temporarily and opened the card that had read:


OH MY STARS. Oh...my...goodness...holy flipping floorboards!
The little pink package had a small red box with pink ribbons and lo and behold...it's that very same olive-yellow piece of rock with LUCK engraved on them.

I sat in complete stillness just drinking in this little miracle that befell on me just before my dreades finals and I was so happy the whole day I couldn't stop smiling. Such a simple, fleeting gesture that I hadn't even thought about seriously turned out into something so incredible and beautiful. To do something good for someone without expecting something is indeed a fulfilling feeling.

And that little thing about karma? Well, what goes around does come around. After the start of my next semester where I was sitting for my finals, the same thing happened, this time: I'm the main character.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...