07 November 2011

Movie Review: The Adventures of Tin Tin (2011)

and a little dash of peppers too.

Get back to you on that one, Farnsworth.


This, is my entire childhood summed up in an awesome movie. Started off with Tin Tin buying a gorgeous model ship in a flea market where is hounded by two other men who are also keen on owning that model ship.

Tin Tin finds himself having his apartment ransacked and the model ship stolen(naturally) and unwittingly entangled himself in a dangerous, perilous adventure with his dog, Snowy and the permanently drunk but spirited Captain Haddock, bumbling inspectors Thomson and Thompson and the scheming but intelligent Mr. Sakharine. 

Spoiler: the movie is actually about Captain Haddock.

Background info: Adventures of Tin Tin was a comic strip by Herge that ran famously in the 1930's.

Two of Herge's books are banned but I own all but that 2 books.

I was torn between being elated and worried because before this movie was released - there are only 2 possible outcomes: it's either bad or good. I'm proud to say...

THAT THIS MOVIE IS BRILLIANT.

My six-month long wait for this movie is finally over but it was well worth the wait. I am very happy with the outcome of this movie and would watch it again. I kinda watched them in 3D.

I loved the realistic 'look' they tried with cartoon characters' proportions and somehow it works! They tried the same Technology with A Christmas Carol(2009) and oh my stars the CGI is fantastic! There was a good bit of humor here and there, witty dialogues and a fabulous share of action and adventure! 

Character introduction time:

a) Tin Tin



A young Belgian reporter who has a knack for adventure and mystery, he is the No.1 reporter for a famous newspaper. He personally gets involved when investigating a case and this kinda rendered many enemies and a lot more friends who are willing to go all the way for him. 

b) Captain Archibald Haddock



Coming of a long line of a family of sea captains, he is the last remaining descendant of the 17th century British Captain Sir Francis Haddock who defeated the pirate Red Rackham and hidden 400 pound teasures for his descendants to find. Captain Haddock is permanently drunk but is very faithful once you get his trust.

c) Thomson and Thompson



These bumbling blokeheads are Interpol detectives. One can only wonder how did they deserve their positions to begin with. They are often called the Siamese twins but you must remember, they aren't related. They're just so similar to each other that they are passed on for brothers easily by others.

d) Mr. Ivanovich Sakharine


He is the descendant of the pirate Red Rackham and have a lifelong vengeance against Haddock whose ancestor defeated his ancestor. He not only wants to have the Unicorn treasure but to settle a feud that goes way back and clear his family name.

e) Snowy



A plucky Fox terrier who never leaves Tin Tin's side. In the comic adaptation he does speak but they're more of monologues and dry humor aimed at the audience.  In the movie, he's just a really smart dog.

Verdict: WATCH THIS.

Also, about that little dash of pepper, this was what I was talking about.

Ate this right after watching TinTin.

I have wanted to eat Pepper Lunch and this time I had the money so I digged in! This particular dish was Smoked Salmon with Pepper Rice. I loved it that we are supposed to cook the fish ourselves kinda like stir it around until we like the texture. It was so awesome I got a lot of curious looks when I brought this to my table. More like innocent fascination. I recall that not many people eat this, they don't know how I guess but as an avid food lover I am quite adventurous in trying out new food. I'm so becoming a regular in Pepper Punch! <3

No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...