13 November 2011

Anime Review: Maria Holic Alive!


Okay, I will admit before hand - this will be a loathsome read.

First off, Maria Holic is one of the best spoof anime I have ever encountered. In fact, I was apprehensive as first because most anime involving more female-male ratio tend to get annoying and unbearable. Girls in obscenely short skirts(no problem with the male population, obviously), high-pitched voice and sugary attitude all round.

But Maria Holic proved me wrong. It was hilarious - the way they poke fun mainstream(aka 'popular') anime, stereotypical anime characters, stereotypical manga genres and 'usual' shoujo art style. I found myself laughing for a long time. After the end of the first season, I find myself impatient for the second one.

The second season came soon but it wasn't all what I expected.

The first episode of the second season managed to reap some chuckles from me but the second episode onwards was a complete disaster. I knew something was wrong when I wasn't laughing at much at the first episode itself but seriously, did someone else took over the production of the second season or something?

It wasn't as funny as I expected. At all.
It was so ridiculous I find myself hesitating to watch the next episodes. I don't know what went wrong but they could certainly do better than this. Maria Holic was supposed to be funny, not retarded. And that's about what Maria Holic Alive! accomplished.

I won't even state my verdict in numericals since my very civilized review above just about says it all.

No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...