15 March 2013

Quick Dinner with Rice, Cheese, Eggs and Loads of Other Stuff

I am a lazy slut, I like my meals quick and filling - evident from my girth.

I like to improvise and mix-match whatever ingredients I have and hope it passes for a decent meal.

I had some Emmental Cheese, eggs, rice, tomatoes and some herbs so I googled "recipes with rice and cheese bake" and I found this

But I did not have some of the ingredients they listed like milk and paprika so I resorted to adding my own mix of herbs.

I used 3 eggs(beaten), oregano, basil, thyme, Cayenne pepper, salt and mixed them with 2 cups of cooked rice and some cubed tomatoes. Sprinkled on the cheese and baked them at 190C for 30 minutes. Remember, every baking pan must be greased.

This edible abomination came out. Mum and sis liked it but I forgot to put black pepper in so it was a bit bland for me. I simply had a glob of chilli sauce accompanied and fixed the blandness. 


I will definitely make this the next time. But I will improve on the:

1. Emmental cheese is better suited for crusting purposes. The most suitable cheese to use is either Cheddar or Mozzarella.

2. You can use other vegetables besides tomatoes - courgette, carrot, chives, celery, anything will do actually. I should try aubergine the next time...

3. Black pepper and other spicing agents. I hate bland food. It is any wonder I am not too fond of Chinese food?

4. Add/mix a cup of milk in the rice mixture before you place the cheese. If you don't have milk, salted butter. 

5. Meatballs, definitely worth a try! I might add chicken or fish fillet pieces the next time.

6. This would be glorious with bacon pieces...or you could just follow the website I based it from.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yums..Wish i had n oven

Princess Ganga said...

Alison, a steamer or a microwave would do for this as well. =)

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...