21 March 2014

First Crochet Project: Estelle Button Cowl by Fiber Flux

So, some people may know that I have recently taken up crochet, teaching myself the techniques and shit.

I had long since wanted to crochet something as a gift. What better chance for my childhood friend whom I am meeting after 9 years being apart?

Scouring the entire Youtube on a crochet pattern that a novice like me could do, I stumbled upon The Estelle Button Cowl by Fiber Flux. You can watch the tutorial video here.

Don't even get me started on yarn-hunting. I went high and low to get a yarn that'll be of a yellow-green shade to compliment my childhood friend's line of work - a United States soldier. I was hoping it'll give off a 'camouflage' effect.

It costed quite a bit - the yarn, but I don't mind. I haven't seen the idiot for a long time I am hoping the scarf would be well-maintained.

So..here it is!

Made a swatch to test my gauge and technique for the pattern.

Ball of yarn in all of it's unused virginal glory.

Me grabbing some balls because I am related to Azog the Defiler.

This particular yarn is a wool-acrylic combination.It eyelashes easily and it's ply's also comes apart easily. I wouldn't use this yarn again. A little rough feel on the skin but strong and durable nonetheless. 

Getting started.

Close up.

The colour-run is pretty.



Close up of the pattern.

First ball of yarn being used.

At this point, I have started a second ball of yarn.

One ball of yarn used up 27-28 inches.

And measures 7 inches across.

Site where yarn change had taken place. The straggler pieces had been weaved in.

2nd ball of yarn using up.

Finished product.

Close up.

More close up because I am a show-off.

This had been a fulfilling project. Very happy with how it turned out despite being a 6 month-old novice in crocheting. 

The Mother was jelly and made orders. Figures.

No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...