09 May 2014

Mother's Day Crochet Projects.

Mother's Day is around the corner. Although by logic you should express love to your mothers every day and just not one day in particular. Although mainstream store-bought gifts seem to be preferred by the mass, I personally think gifts should have a personal touch to them. Hence, using my recent hobby, crochet, I made about 6 doilies for the Mothership.

Never mind that I spent my one hour break during my work hunting for yarns in Daiso and spent 2 days crocheting 3-4 doilies in a day so she could have a surprise on Monday when she came back from Penang (prayers coz her mother died), only to have lukewarm response upon giving her the gifts because I know she's bummed they weren't in the colours she wanted. Well gee apologies then I can only made do with the cheap but excellent quality yarns Daiso has got to offer for me.

Anyway, despite the initial disappointment from her response, I actually enjoyed making them doilies. I had always loved doilies, whether I used them or not is another question but I just like them a lot, mmkay?

So without further ado, here are my renditions. Link to patterns will be posted.

a) The supply.


I seriously fell in love with these yarns. My favourite is the grey one and the one called Spicy Linen. I have eyes on their Kira-Kira yarn line too.

b) Doily Numero Uno: Granny Circle.

As opposed to its more popular counterpart - the Granny Square, the Granny Circle makes an equally solid and sturdy piece, with the most classic design in the world of crochet.

.


This tri-colour one was challenging to do, but the result is seriously satisfying.





This blue and chocolate combination is my 2nd favourite piece. Love the electric shout of the blue yarn and the more sombre colour of the chocolate one.


Although it is supposed to be made with fine yarn, I had used the regular worsted-weight yarn and this doily ended up being triple its intended size. Eh heh.




This was an incredibly difficult piece to do. I am never doing it again.


This was the first to be made. And it remained my most favourite because I am simply crazy about the way the yarn just worked itself and its weight/feel in my hands. I am thinking to buy more of Daiso's Spicy Linen line and their Kira-Kira yarn line.




I decided to omit the V-shell seams and opted for a more traditional round shape.

c) GirlyBunches Doily and Maybelle Flower Coaster.

My favourite yarn! 





GirlyBunches Doily pattern. I made one in red - 


this one. I made this on a whim for my aunt on Mother's Day. The Mothership liked it and asked 6 doilies. I suspect she didn't like it that I made hers in grey.

I had A LOT of grey yarns left. So I made a flower coaster. =)


I liked this one too. Would randomly twirl and touch this between my fingers and hands. =) 

So this had been enlightening and absolutely enjoyable to make. I still have lots of yarns left from this project save the Spicy Linen one. I am not sure what to make of them. 
Any ideas? Probably more doilies I would only keep for *sangiam


*A Tamil word to mean doing something for the sake of it. 

No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...