24 April 2019

Combating Oily/Acne-prone/Combo Skin

That bitch in Instagram whose face is always mattified, even-toned and flawless. A good load of it just good makeup and clever lighting but it IS possible to achieve the clean, blemish-free look without the Sephora makeup haul.

As an oily-skin gal suffering from acne since 9 years (yes, I had acne before my puberty my genetics aren't the best) old, there aren't products out there that I didn't try to calm my shitty skin.

Poor product usage and habits caused much damage to my skin, and I am the only one to blame. Years I have spent in self-loathing, all for naught. I made a mistake in my youth, I don't want another gal do the same, and here's an honest account from a 30-year-old idiot.

*THIS REVIEW WILL NOT APPLY FOR DRY-SKINNED GALS

1. Cleansers

If you have problematic skin, at one point you would have splurged on scrubs and rubbed your skin raw with it. Because you just want to sand off those bumps.

WRONG MOVE YOU FUCKING WALNUT. 

Remember, scrubbing is an exfoliation to slough off dead cells off your face. Dead cells that gets collected on your face through congested skin is what causes the acne.


If you're in an environment where you're exposed to the elements a lot, scrubbing daily is not a problem provided you use cleansers with gentle beads. Most of Freeman's scrubs are very gentle for everyday use and some St.Ives scrubs with "low" scrub strength (see at the back of the packaging). Their Green Tea scrub is one such example.

2. Everything charcoal

I'm serious. If only I had discovered this sooner. Charcoal masks, charcoal cleansers, charcoals body wash, charcoal soaps, charcoal pills. You must BREATHE the charcoal.



You do not need to get Glamglow's Supermud mask (the grey one, I'm using this because I'm rich) to reap charcoal's full benefit. Drugstore one is just fine. Anything charcoal is superb for problematic skin, I'm serious guys. GUYS. You can even use for your body acne. This shit is a dollar-store magic with superior effectiveness.

The charcoal clears up your shit gently and without scars. Freeman and The Body Shop provides some pretty good charcoal products. The Body Shop's charcoal soap worked wonders to even out my skin.

Absolutely invest in charcoal everything.

3. AHA and BHA serums

Seriously, where were these magic potions when I was covered in gunk? Seriously this shit would have saved me so much of misery in my teen years.

AHA and BHA are both topical acids that work deep in your pores to clean out acne-causing gunk. AHA and BHA are concentrated solutions of skin-safe acids, and results are immediate. I have been using Fab Skin Beauty's AHA solution every night and my gunk has disappeared by 75%. ONE.NIGHT. OF.APPLICATION. I've been using it for 6 month now and results are beyond beautiful. I regret not using this in my younger years. Would have saved me so much misery.

Just google products that contain AHA and BHA, which ones are best for your skin problems.
Be warned, these acids are very pricey and will put on a dent in your wallet.


I have just ordered Salicylic Acid by The Ordinary. See how that goes for me. I have congested skin and this is the only acid that can penetrate deep inside my pores to melt those pesky gunk.

A word of caution for using topical acids on skin: THEY'RE NOT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN. This shit can burn you. And always do patch test with the in-store samples.

4. Toners

Seriously about, TONE YOUR FUCKING FACE. Just not with those that contains alcohol. Always opt for alcohol-free toners. Thayers are now available in Malaysia, so you don't even have to try to look for alcohol-free toners in drugstores. Toners with alcohol dry out our skin type which gives us that uncomfortable tight feeling.



Let me tell you about toners: your arrogant ass thought your face was clean and squeaky after all that cleansing and masking? Sit your ass down and wipe your face with Thayer's toner. Toners work to clean your pores off gunk so that the gunk doesn't accumulate and become a pesky pimple.

Don't even bother using other toners out there: they're shit.


Thayers toners, are, however THE SHIT.
I recommend Lemon, Cucumber, Rose Petal (my fav), Lavender and Original for our skin types.

5. Masking

Whichever fuck that told you masking everyday is bad for your skin, slap them silly.
My skin cleared faster BECAUSE I masked everyday. And the beauty of masking is that you can use different ones everyday.


Feeling like slapping on a sheet mask? Done. Want to slather your face with clay mask? Sure. Anything, really.

Clay masks are absolutely the best for problematic skin like ours. I'm using Aztec Indian Clay Mask, Leaders Mediu sheet masks and Innisfree's self-heating clay mask (Jeju Melting Clay Mask).

Leaders Mediu sheet masks are absolutely the best. THE BEST. There are many types to choose from so you can really enjoy this range of sheet masks.

You'd be surprised to know that any masks with rose in it (infused, extract, gel etc) is extremely beneficial for skin like ours. I don't know why it's often marketed for dry skin. It's so good for us!!!

Freeman's mask range is absolutely wonderful and affordable. Start there.

Masking makes you feel pampered, which is extremely beneficial for your mental health too.

5. Facial Oils

It would seem counterproductive to use oil on oily skin.

Here's the tea sis. You add facial oil on a cleansed oily/acne skin to BALANCE sebum production. Hydrating oily skin is absolutely necessary ensure the sun doesn't shine where we don't want them to.


I am currently using Farsali's Volcanic Elixir (told you I'm rich) and I use it before I sleep. I wake up with glowing, hydrated and repaired skin. My skin had never looked so beautiful.

Sephora (and drugstores are picking up on this too) is fast hosting facial oils targeted specially for our skin type. The fact that an oily, [formerly] pimply-skinned gal is recommending facial oil, it's gotta be something. Try. Start with Rosehip Oil, Vitamin C or Vitamin E oils. The Body Shop carries some good one. If you're loaded (like me), just get one from Sephora.

6. Cleansing oil



Hydration is absolutely KEY for oily/combo skin types. Which is why cleansing oils (Innisfree Cleansing Oil is an option) are essential for our skin type. Always hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. St.Ives have started carrying cleansing oils too so you can start there.

7. Sunscreen

 Do I need to even highlight the importance of this? Use ya damn sunscreen. The sun's rays can cause further damage on already damaged skin.

But I am an oily skinned gal, most sunscreens dry me up or gives me that ugly white layer on my face. Memories of slathering Banana Boat's sunscreen is giving me nightmarish flashbacks.

Biore's UV Perfect SPF50 PA+++++ sunscreens. Hands down. Gals of deeper skin colour would definitely appreciate the fact that this sunscreen doesn't give you the "I slathered talcum powder on my face" look.

I'm currently using the blue one. The pink one is for brightening. Not sure what the white one is for,

This particular sunscreen is absolutely a holy grail for us oily gals. It kept my skin mattified all day long and you can use this as a primer. This sunscreen does not disappoint IM SERIOUS GO GET YOURSELF A BOTTLE.

Speaking of bottles, the size is quite small (30ml) for something so wonderful and pricey (close to RM30). But be warned this sunscreen is only for face, get something else for your body.

This should be a staple in your skincare routine. I would judge you if you don't have this in your vanity or bag.

Of course don't stress out your skin by using all of these at once. Essentials are normally cleansers, toner, moisturizer and sunscreen for everyday use. Mask as you please, cleansing oils are optional. Facial oils are basically food for your skin

This has been a PSA.



No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...