17 June 2019

Part 1 Sheet Masks Review: Dr. Jart, St.Ives, Utena Golden Jelly, Origins Flower Fusion, Secret Nature, Saborino, Innisfree, Leaders Mediu and MORE~!


Everything and anything I have ever said about sheet masks, I take it back.

I have said only bad things about sheet masks so this is my formal apology to sheet masks everywhere. 

Let me tell you how I have formed this faulty opinion of mine.

I’ve always had bad skin. My skin was riddled with acne, pimples, hyperpigmentation, congested skin and premature wrinkles for the longest time. I truly believed something more invasive like clay masks would save me.

Boy was I wrong. Boy was I so wrong. The root of this faulty opinion happened when I was still under the stupid understanding that oily/acne prone skin won’t ever benefit from moisturizing.
How could I have been so stupid? I’m glad I’m not the same person I was 5 years ago, or even yesterday.

The importance of moisturizing oily/acne prone skin is something that isn’t talked about enough, because there aren’t enough girls like me documenting their new-found holy grail.

Here’s the summary on why oily skin needs as much moisturizing as the Sahara Desert: the moisture introduced to your skin would counterbalance the sebum produced naturally from your skin.
You won’t believe this until you’ve taken the brave step of trying this like I did. There’s a reason I’m a Princess. Cheh wah poyo.

I think sheet masks are the answer.

Sheet masks function to cover your face in a skin-safe cotton, marinated in beneficial serums/boosters/and other awesome ingredients to suit your skin’s needs.

You can not (and may not) come under the believe that if your skin is bumpy or terrible like mine, sheet masks would not do anything for you.

Sis, let me serve you some tea: my skin improved fucktons since the last three months I first tried sheet masks, from all the bullshit I did 5 years ago to clear my shitty skin.

There are sheet masks formulated for unfortunate fucks like us and very thankfully they’re kind to our wallets and pockets. We do not need to fork out our entire inheritance just to get that sheet mask that you know will work for our skin type.

Always apply sheet masks on cleaned and toned skin. I use Thayers’ Rose Petal Toner. Will write a review about this much later.

1. Origins Flower Fusion Masks

Beautiful and attractive packaging. I could not believe these masks are only RM13 in Sephora. Origins is definitely on the high-end scale so seeing this particular product with drugstore price felt like getting a Christmas present. I bought the rose mask because I’m an absolute sucker for anything rose.

Check out that gorgeous packaging

And did you know that anything-rose is extremely beneficial for oily, acne-prone skin? Rose-anything is usually marketed for dry skins as a moisturizing agent but the Vitamic C and other nutrients in rose is very effective in combating any blemishes on the skin. Plus due to it’s high hydration factor, it does lock in moisture so that your own natural sebum production is controlled. Plus who doesn’t like smelling like unicorn fart? Their rose mask gave me a clearer, more clarified skin and cleaned any imperfections on my skin. The entire time the mask was on, there was this pleasant tingly feeling like your skin was being massaged. That’s defo a plus point for me: to be able to FEEL the mask work on your skin as you wear them. I just massaged the extra essence into my skin and went to sleep, to wake up with the most glowing, beautiful skin. Hallelujah.

That’s the beauty of sheet masks, when it is extracted from natural stuff like fruit, flowers or vegetables, it smells like it! So for a rose sheet mask, just picture yourself relaxing with the scent of roses wafting in your nostrils while the rose essence works her magic into your shitty skin. HEAVEN.
They also have other scents: I am keen to try all of it tbh.

Okay, much, MUCH, later after writing the above I went to Sephora again and collected the rest of the Origins Flower Fusion sheet masks. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I started feeling guilty on how greedy I was getting all of those sheet masks at once. I thought, “why not try them one by one, it’s more economical and plus it gives you an excuse to come to Sephora”. Insert troll face meme here.

Have you ever seen Jasmine masks anywhere? Because I’ve never. I’ve seen all kind of flower-infused masks, but never Jasmine. And being South Indian, Jasmine is a big part of my life. We Southies will always have a soft spot for Jasmine. So this time I picked up their Jasmine Flower Fusion mask. Review for this will come in Part 2.

Definitely a repurchase!

2. Secret Nature Sheet Masks

That packaging for Rose is to DIE FOR.

Now THIS was an accidental find. A very pleasant, welcome accidental find.

While googling sheet masks for oily skin, this came up a few times in lists and searches. And very pleasantly surprised to find out Watsons Malaysia carries this for incredibly affordable price at RM6.90 each. That’s a fucking steal man, for a mask that works extremely well.

I bought their Brightening Lemon Mask and Moisturizing Rose Mask. I tried their Lemon Mask first and let me tell you this: I was unimpressed after I’ve used this mask. Unlike with the Origins, I did not see any immediate difference. My skin looked hydrated, with the shitty imperfections intact. I massaged the extra essence onto my face and went to sleep.

Oh with sheet mask essences you can rub them on your lips too for pumpler, hydrated lips!
I only saw difference when I woke up the next morning and immediately had a better impression of this mask. I had some breakouts near my jaw and cheek area prior to wearing this mask.

The bumps shrunk considerably and guess what – made my skin brighter. Definitely a mask you use before you sleep. I woke up with a matte, fresh skin. Oily skin gals would testify that they usually wake up like they were greased with frying oil all over their face. This Lemon Mask actually kept my skin looking normal. On a heatwave night.

Talk about miracle.

This mask package comes with a lot of essence and when you take it out, it’ll be very drippy. Store the remaining essence and use them up nightly. Mine took 3 days to use up. So I think this is a very, very good and economic deal for a sheet mask. I definitely have no regrets purchasing this mask and will be purchasing the 10-pack sheet with each of their flavours. By the time I used up the remaining essences of the Lemon Mask my bumps have completely disappeared. So for y’all bumpy gals out there: I highly recommend this.

I then immediately went for their Rose Mask, I was just THAT excited. The content was similar, white cotton fabric dripping with beautiful aroma of roses. There were loads of leftover essence in this too. So I guess I’ll be pampering myself with roses for a few days.

Now little Rosie here from Secret Nature family didn’t disappoint too. She was incredibly moisturizing, and was excellent at controlling my sebum. Plus who doesn’t like falling asleep smelling like roses? The essence for this particular flavour minimized pores and moisturized my skin. Definitely another winner from Secret Nature.


3. Innisfree My Real Squeeze Mask

I wonder if something got lost in translation from Korean to English. The name does sound a bit off. Again, if you google for tried and tested sheet masks I guarantee Innisfree masks would somehow come into the mixture. And for a good reason. I have been using their Jeju Melting Volcanic Clay  mask for months now and it’s the best shit ever to clean out your pores.


But we’re here to talk about their sheet mask and if it’s up to par with claims out there.

I bought the Rose and Tomato ones. Trust me, the My Real Squeeze mask has many flavours and you’d be wide-eyed to choose from which one. I tried the Tomato one first because, hello, a tomato mask? Never heard that one before.

The sheet mask material is made of a luxurious thin woven cloth. It’s hands down the best quality I’ve ever held in my hands and slathered on my face. 

The feeling was cool and very hydrating. The smell incredibly pleasant. The sheet mask would be a welcome change for us small-faced ladies. This is the only sheet mask that fit my face somewhat.
And that’s where it stops. Really.

The essence didn’t really do anything for my face. I only saw hydration and brightening. And very minimally at that too. There were a lot of serum left so I stored it like I did with the Secret Nature one. Again didn’t really so anything. My personal opinion is that this is a gimmick product marketed to those who like cute and fanciful things.

Now what about the Rose one? Ah. That will be in Part 2.

4. Leaders Mediu Sheet Masks



I’ve used so many sheet masks by now I’m definitely an expert. And I’ll tell you sheet masks by Leaders Mediu is absolutely, hands down, without a doubt, THE BEST out there. I don’t care what you say about YOUR favourite sheet mask. Zip it. THIS is the real deal. THIS should be everyone’s staple. THIS should win all kinds of awards.

This line of Korean mask DOES NOT BULLSHIT you. It makes sure you get what you paid for (RM12.90 each, available only online I bought via iHerb). For something I consider affordable, this mask delivers FAR MORE than it promises. It outdone itself. Seriously, it’s THAT good.
I received the blue one (Amino Moisture Mask) for free and it has been sitting in my vanity for months. At this point I was still stupid about sheet masks. Imagine having a precious gem and not knowing it’s worth. I thought, “eh what if this thing is gonna expire soon (it was not expiring anytime soon lol)? Might as well use it.”

I did. My God. My skin practically CURED. It was softer, plumper, hydrated, brightened and holy shit where are the acne scars? Where they at??? The dark circles under my eyes practically disappeared by a few shades. And I cursed and beat myself up for not using this sooner. I stared at myself in the mirror because I did not know what the fuck was I looking at. Have I finally found my magic elixir? These Koreans do not fuck with their cosmetics man. HOLY.

So a few months ago I bought the red one (Amino AC-Free Mask) as it is targeted for oily/acne-prone skin. I’m almost sorry to use it, because I love these line of masks so much and they’re only available online. But this mask contains BHA (Salicylic Acid) and my recent experience by BHA sort of made me think twice about slathering it on my face.

5. Premium Puresa Utena Golden Jelly Mask

No, this is not a sheet mask inspired by everyone’s favourite lesbian anime space warrior princess. They just have the same name.

The packaging of this extremely popular mask (in Japan) screams expensive and luxurious. Just try holding it you’ll feel like you’re holding something precious. There’s a reason Japanese women insists to have this mask as a staple in their skincare routine.



Both the packaging and product are luxurious quality

I bought the purple one (lavender extract, limited edition) because like I said before I’m a huge sucker for anything flower-based. Especially weak against rose.

This is my verdict for this highly-touted mask: I love it! I am especially in love with the scent. The one I bought is the purple one, which I understood was a limited edition lavender scented one for relaxation and moisturizing.

The mask was an absolute pain in the hiney to unravel. It was so richly soaked in jelly essence. But it’s not drippy though so that’s a plus point. The remaining jelly essence you can use up gradually.
I got frustrated on how complicated it was to unravel. But I eventually got there and fitted this on my face, which was surprisingly a good fit. It was a better fit than the Innisfree My Real Squeeze Mask.

Upon application this mask had a constant pleasant tingling sensation. The pleasant scent just wafting as it sits on your face. The mask itself is very heavyweight, though, but it doesn’t slide off your skin.
The excess jelly that’s on your hands can be spread around as a lotion on your hands. It feels very soft and silky when it’s fully absorbed.

I used the remainder essence for 3 days too. And I am extremely satisfied with the results. Skin was plump and hydrated and fresh.

A definitely repurchase and potential staple. 

Oh and they have Rose-scented and Peach-scented one too. Guess who's credit card is flying off her purse. 

6. St.Ives Sheet Mask

You have to be living under a rock if you don’t know who or what St.Ives is. Seriously they’ve been around for many, many years. And they’re undoubtedly a family staple when it comes to skincare. Everyone and their grandmother have used a St.Ives products sometime in their life.
They’re coming up with new and more diverse skincare products to catch up with others but yo no complaints here.


Recently, they’ve created sheet masks line (YAY) and woooooo they’re finally in Malaysia. Though I only saw them in Guardian for like RM10 each. And they only had oatmeal and apricot sheet masks (2 of their best selling flavours). I bought the Oatmeal one because I’ve used their Apricot scrub before and I know what it’s like.

The sheet mask is easy and durable to handle. You can be one of those perkins type and still won’t accidentally tear up this mask. There’s a lot of leftover essence too in this. The face mask size is a standard one and it was pretty awkward adjusting it to my face.

I DO NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT.

I in fact, FUCKING HATE IT.

The smell was god awful. It did not smell like oatmeal. It smelled like stale Nestum. Seriously this shit smelled TERRIBLE. I couldn’t wait for the 20-minute mark to finish. I usually keep my sheet masks for 30-45 minutes. This one? I removed it after the timestamp and WIPED IT OFF MY FACE. I didn’t even want to see what it had done to my face. I went to sleep incredibly disappointed.
But the next morning my face did look fresher and brighter. So that’s the only plus point. I give this 1/5.

But bear in mind, this is only the oatmeal one. The rest of the sheet masks in this brand might actually be better than this travesty. What a real fucking shame. I am a huge fan of their scrubs!

7. Dr.Jart+ Brightening Solution Sheet Mask

I intended to buy the red one (Clearing Solution?) because it contains Salicylic Acid. My recent experience with The Ordinary’s 2% Salicylic Acid drop serum was an absolute disaster so I am truly concerned about buying a sheet mask with that acid’s concentration. It’s gonna go on my entire face. I took about 5 years to get my skin cleared to this stage I don’t want to fuck it up omg. So I bought the Brightening Solution instead (orange) because I do suffer from dull skin caused by those acne scars. It’s only available in Sephora at RM20.

Dr.Jart+ masks and products are a Sephora staple (like Mario Badescu and Murad) and so far there aren’t bad reviews of this product. God I really hope this works for me.

I wore this mask actually couple of months back before writing this exact paragraph. I’m moving to a new place so this sort of slipped my mind.

I liked it, really liked it. But I will not be repurchasing this anymore.

While it did good as a sheet mask, I did not see any immediate improvements like the other sheet masks provided. Did it make my face brighter? It did. Did the leftover essence justify the price and popularity of this mask? Not one bit.

I don’t regret purchasing this mask, but I would not be a repeat buyer. The Flower Fusion by Origins was so much better for ¼ of the price of this brightening mask.

To be fair, this is only the brightening mask. Maybe the rest of it works really well.

8. Saborino Morning Facial Sheet Mask Fresh White


The packaging is seriously beautiful. ALL of their series do.


Okay this sheet mask had been BLOWING UP in the Instagram and internet in general because of how resourceful they are.

Being in my sheet mask obsession phase, I immediately made extensive research about which one would suit my face more (oily, acne-prone gal here). Apparently the green one (Grapefruit as the first ingredient listed) and the brown one (Almond Koukou Limited Edition) should suit me the best.
BUT.

I work in a job where I am significantly exposed to the sun, you see. So I need something that sloughs away the suntan or brighten my skin. So this mask from their many lineup was the winner for me.

Even though this is a morning mask (the cooling effect is high in this one to awaken the skin), I used it before I sleep. I wash my face with Shiseido’s Senka Speedy Perfect Whip (review is coming soon for this one), tone my face with Thayer’s Alcohol-free Witch Hazel Rose Petal (review also coming soon) and then put this mask on for 15 minutes.



That’s right. 15 minutes. The instructions on this mask asks only for 60 seconds. That’s one minute. This mask costs RM65 in Watsons. The Fresh White series only has 28pcs (every other series has like 32 pieces). That’s RM2.30 that you’re wasting for a meagre 60-second use.

The first time I used it my skin stung and burned and I literally had this on for 60 secs. Then gradually my skin built a tolerance for it and I can keep it on for 15 minutes, because that’s when it dries up.

When you remove the mask, you massage the remaining essence into your skin.
I can always see a difference each time. The skin is indeed brighter. This is an absolutely worthwhile purchase especially if you’re a super busy person that comes home late after work. You can really rely on this fella to give you that skin care boost on the go.


And the packet comes in resealable packaging and you take out a piece like a wet wipe, and close the lid on this one again.

This is a definite repurchase and a must-have in my opinion. I want to try the pink on next.



Sadly this is NOT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN, as it is chockfull of ingredients.
Also it contains parabens, which did make me think a long time before going ahead with it. 

Coming Soon~

1. Senka Speedy Perfect Whip
2. Senka Perfect Whip White
3. Senka Perfect Whip Collagen In
For the above 3, see them here.

4. Thayer's Alcohol-free Witch Hazel Rose Petal Toner
5. Blossom Lip Gloss
6. Dudu-Osun African Black Soap
7. Aztec Indian Healing Clay
8. Coco & Eve Like a Virgin Hair Masque
9. MegRhytm Steam Eye Mask
10. Ogx Shampoo and Conditioners (selected)

No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...