10 February 2012

Book Review: Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster


Jerusha Abbot prefers being called Judy. Who wouldn't be, her name was chosen from an abandoned gravestone in the orphanage she lives. An inmate in the John Grier Orphanage. She hates the orphanage. Being the oldest, she is often the recipient of Mrs.Lippet's outbursts. Mrs Lippet is a well-meaning but stern woman.
A naturally humorous and spirited young lass, she wrote an essay entitled Blue Wednesday that highlighted her mundane and lackluster life in the orphanage. Her 'blue' life turned pretty colorful when an eccentric aristocrat read her essay and decided to support her education till college.

A page from the book. 

Judy can't imagine her luck. She gets to leave the orphanage and have an education that'll get her far in life for someone of her station. 

Her benefactor, Daddy Long-Legs is nicknamed thus because of the brief moment she caught sight of him before he left the place. She vividly remembered how he was so tall that his legs towered.

Judy is to write letters to Daddy reporting her progress in studies. In her academic life, she encounters people from various background and how she is part of their lives - adding mischief here and there.

This is absolutely my favourite book of all time. I have read it twice and enjoyed them immensely each time. I am thinking of reading it again. This is one book that never fails to bring delight to my heart. I feel nothing but happiness as I turn the pages in the book. This is by far THE most adorable book ever written, hands down.


Hik hik hik...a little memo I wrote upon purchasing this book. Don't look at me like that - I was REALLY happy when I finally got this in my hands. Im sure you have that one book that relates to you and seem so natural to put yourself in it because there's this special connection - unexplainable but it exists. I feel so at home reading this book.

1 comment:

Loraine said...

Nice review :) Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/daddy-long-legs-by-jean-webster.html

Thanks and have a nice day! :D

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...