16 April 2013

Phallic Cake - I mean, Banana Cake. Heh heh.

Let your imagination run wild.

The simplest and easiest you'll ever find. I actually followed this recipe and modified it a little to my taste and ingredient availability.

2 cups of flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of melted butter(can be replaced with 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps of oil)
3 large ripe bananas OR 4-6 Pisang Emas
1 tsp of vanilla essence OR 2 tsps of golden syrup
2 eggs
1 tsp of cinnamon powder (optional)
1/4 salt
1/2 tsp of baking powder and baking soda

Steps:

1. Take a pretty wide plate or bowl  and mash the bananas into a sludge-like paste. Add a tablespoon of milk if it seems a little 'dry'. You can leave out the milk, no probs. Set this aside and prepare for step number -

2. On another bowl, mix butter/oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla essense/golden syrup and beat them well with a whisk or a fork.

3. On a mixing bowl, sieve the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon. Add the mixture in (2) and mix well with a whisk. You'll get a thick and heavy paste. Mix till a smooth texture is formed.

4. Now add the mixture from (1), the mashed bananas into the mixing bowl and mix really well. At this point the batter would be softened and mixing would be easier. Mix this well to a smooth paste.

5. On a baking tray of your choice - you can use a loaf tin or a cake tin - grease the surface with butter and pour the batter in. Tap the baking tin lightly to help them settle down and remove whatever air bubbles.

6. Set the oven to 200 'C and bake for 45-60 mins.

Fresh from the oven. If you look really closely...my mitten is on the wrong hand!


A slice to let you see the innards. (LOL, ini dissection ka?)


Sapu-ed halfway by sis and mother. NOT EVEN AN HOUR OUT OF THE OVEN.

Notes:

1. The crusts was kinda hard. I was hoping for a moist looking and feeling one. Wasn'y happy with the crust. Next time must use butter instead of oil.

2. Use Pisang Emas. After all, that is what Cucur Kodok is made from! And we all know it taste like heaven's tears. (wow what kind of metaphor was that)

3. I'd like to make this using buttermilk and see how the texture goes.

4. Do you know about chocolate-banana flavour. Ho yeah. I have unsweetened cocoa powder at my disposal and I might try to make chocolate-banana cake next time. Diabetes here I come.

5. I need to have a kitchen scale for my solid-to-liquid measurements. Gotta invest in one. Can't always substitute oil for butter just because I can't measure worth a squat.

6. Always invest in non-stick baking tins, they require no greasing. My loaf tin is a non-stick one and I never had to grease it. I just have to turn it upside down and the bread comes out smoothly. The one I have is foil based and MY GOD it's such a pain when it sticks.



No comments:

Review ~ The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

  I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's his first book so there's that.  The plot ran smoothly with realistic dynamics between character...